If you are the victim of domestic violence or abuse, call 911 immediately to get assistance and report the situation.
Domestic violence and abuse occurs in all types of intimate relationships. People of all economic, educational, cultural, racial and religious backgrounds perpetrate domestic abuse. The Hanson Police Department is committed to ending domestic abuse. The preferred response to incidents of domestic violence is to arrest the offender whenever possible.
Our officers are well versed in obtaining Protective Orders in emergency situations and are trained to be sensitive to the concerns of the victims of domestic violence. Learn more about the Hanson Police Department’s Sexual Assault Investigation Unit.
Domestic Violence Important Numbers & Links
[table id=5 /]
Facts About Domestic Violence and Violence Against Women
- 97 percent of domestic violence victims are women
- Children raised in homes where there is domestic violence are abused at a rate of 1,500 times higher than the national average
- The average battered woman will leave her abuser an average of eight times before walking out for good.
- Every 9 seconds a woman is battered in the United States.
- Over 4 million US women each year are assaulted by a partner.
- Battery appears to be the single most common cause of injury to women, more common than auto accidents, muggings and rape combined.
- There are 3,800 animal shelters in the Untied States, but only 1,200 shelters for battered women and their children.
- It is estimated that 51,000 women were killed by the men who supposedly loved them during the same time period of the Vietnam War where 58,000 men were killed.
- Every 11 days a woman is killed by her partner in the United States.